The reaction between zinc and sulfur is a simple combination reaction. However, when performed in the lab, it produces some dramatic results. The video below contains the reaction demonstrated three times at different times to different classes.
- Give the equation for the reaction.
- Why did the reaction result in a flare?
- What would determine the size of the flare?
- What ratio would you combine the two reactants to produce the biggest flare? Why?
- Design an investigation to test your answer to question 4. Details of how the data collected will be analyzed must also be provided.
- rate of reaction, energetics, exothermic, expansion.