Samir Pariyar has had two misfortunes. The first was his birth into a family of Tailors, a Dalit, an untouchable. The other was his parents not looking after him and taking care of him. His mother is abroad, in Kuwait, while his father lives in Kathmandu. He has been left behind in the village with his grandparents, who struggle to cover his educational expenses.
Attached below are details of his family and the cost of his education.
The request letter reads:
Subject: About scholarship.
Personal and family details of the student
1. Student’s name: Samir Pariyar 1. School uniform
2. Father’s name: Indra Pariyar 2. Shoes + socks
3. Mother’s name: Sarita Pariyar 3. School bag
4. Duration for which agricultural yield sustains the family: 1 month 4. Tie + belt (1 set)
5. Number of family members: 5 5. Student ID
6. Family member(s) working abroad: Mother 6. Admission fee
7. Address: Thangpalkot-3Class: 3 7. Exam fees (50 x 3)
8. Financial situation: Weak 8. Computer fees (40 x 12)
9. Notebooks (10 x 10 x 12)
10. Pencils (50 x 6)
11. Geometry box
Signed and stamped
At the current rate of exchange of approximately Rs. 98=US$1.00, the total cost amounts to US$45/year as a 3nd grader.
However, he has just four more months in 3rd grade. Academic year in Nepal runs from mid-April to the beginning of April the following year. That means, he’ll need support for at least the next 7 years.
* * * * * * * *
Update Feb. 20, 2014
Purchases by Nemira Customers 7 – 18 has ensured that Samir gets to finish school!
* * * * * * * *
Update September 2015
Over the course of the 2014-15 academic year, Samir had difficulties coming to school. He has apparently moved to Kathmandu to be with his dad. We are no longer supporting his education. Instead, we are supporting Anju Biswakarma in his place.